Sunday, March 28, 2010

Approach-Avoidance

Approach-avoidance occurs when an individual moves closer to a seemingly desirable object, only to have the potentially negative consequences of contacting that object push back against the closing behavior.

Tomorrow is my follow-up appointment with my doctor. I'm looking forward to it, mainly because I'm pretty confident I won't have to wear the walking boot anymore. I've been working really hard to make the necessary changes to my diet and take my meds on schedule, so I'd really like to see how my blood work looks now.

On the other hand, what if my labs aren't better? That would be very discouraging. It's only been four weeks, and maybe that's not enough time to expect significant change.

I know that in terms of calories, fat, and general nutrition, my diet has been WAY better in the last four weeks than ever before. My blood sugars have ranged from pretty good to perfect every time. I know, in my head, that I'm doing a good job. I'm a little worried that if that's not reflected in my test results, it'll put me in a funk. It shouldn't, but it might. Guess what I do when I'm feeling like that? EAT. I don't want to do that.

I'm trying to focus on the progress I've made, and work on goals. And I'll ask my doctor how much improvement in the labs she would expect to see in four weeks.

The two things I'm most interested in tomorrow: my weight and getting the stupid boot off!
.

No comments: